During one of my clients migration from SCOM 2007 R2 to SCOM 2012 R2 there is a requirement from the users of both systems to have both consoles installed and working on a single workstation/laptop
1. First install the SCOM 2007 R2 console on the laptop using the normal setup methods.
2. Install the SCOM 2012 R2 console running the OMConsole setup package from either the i386 or AMD64 folders on the setup media.
3. When you try to launch the SCOM 2012 R2 console most of the time you will get an exception error message, this is because the prerequisites for the console is not installed
4. Install the SQL 2012 CLR Types for either the 32 bit or 64 bit laptop
5. Install the reportview for SQL 2012 on the laptop
6. The SCOM 2012 R2 console will now succesfully open.
7. Close the console and update the shortcut of the SCOM 2012 R2 console icon and add /Server:<management server> in the target field.
Adding the /Server: allows the SCOM 2012 R2 console to directly connect to the SCOM 2012 R2 management servers
8. Launch the SCOM 2007 console, you will probably receive a incompatibility error message, click ok and then select/type in the RMS server name of the SCOM 2007 environment.
That’s it, now you can have both consoles running on a single workstation/server/laptop.